Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Japan: Where Trends Come to Die.

My perception of what Japanese style would be and what it is in reality are two very different things. Of course upon hearing Japan, I thought of Geishas and Harajuka girls (thanks Gwen Stefani...this $h*t is bananas...). I definitely envisioned cartoon-like outfits with over-the-top baby dolls type dresses. What I got was very cute fashion mixed with trends that have long been killed off in the U.S.
If you don't understand what I mean by this, just think to yourself....when's the last time you actually saw a fanny pack in public? Yes, maybe you perhaps still own one that is tucked away in your closet because you just can't let go of its usefulness. But, when's the last point in time that you actually saw a person full on rocking the fanny pack. I can answer that for you......every day in Japan. EVERY DAY. EVERYWHERE.
The more stylish fanny packs have somehow become quasi-backpacks that people strap across they're chests. Fanny packs in disguise. Japanese people are so clever...
Joining the flashback from the 90's with the fanny packs are the neon windbreakers and jackets. College students would go absolutely crazy in some of the stores here, stocking up for the once-a-year, but inevitable, 80's party. Any color you could imagine, it's in neon and on a lightweight windbreaker. Actually, it's on every article of clothing imaginable. Literally. I saw someone walking in a completely neon outfit: hat, sunglasses, shirt, skirt, leggings, and shoes. I'm pretty sure her bike even had neon in it. 
Then there's the jackets. Each team has thicker coats since it's still pretty chilly here. Every single one is straight out of the 80's. Like whoa. Metallic, shiny, plastic jackets. Ours is actually one of the better ones, with minimal shiny exterior. But some of the teams......
Well they look like this..
Bet you thought I was kidding.....
There's the small issue of playing with visors and their hair down ala Michele Smith. Which I find hilarious every time. I get mad when I have a strand of hair in my face while pitching and these girls have a full on bowl-cut shag do whipping back and forth across. 

Then there's the monster. CROCS. Good lord and baby jesus they are EVERYWHERE. Literally. I asked Maki (our translator) if they were popular and she said "Oh, yes. Everyone owns at least one pair."....
Let me break that down for you. That's approximately 128 MILLION crocs on one strip of land. Croc-invasion. Realistically, I can see why they're so popular since they wear slippers around the house. They even have certain slippers for going outside - like to get the mail or chase the dog (yes, you better change your slippers before running outside), and they take their slippers completely off when in their bedroom or a formal dining room. So, crocs, thanks to their lovely design, allow owners to easily slip them on and off. Now, here's my feelings towards crocs.....


I DON'T CARE HOW COMFORTABLE THEY ARE. THEY ARE STILL UGLY.

Ok....glad I got that out. It's been weighing on me heavily. Oh, and if you own those little decoration things, you're actually making it worse. There's no dressing up something that cannot possibly become any more attractive. Even saw a pair of gold glitter crocs. Nearly died upon viewing. 

Crocs, fanny packs, neon windbreakers, those gaucho/loose/MC Hammer pants, trucker hats (Ashton Kutcher, what up?!). They are all still alive and well across the World. Hopefully skinny jeans for guys and Lady Gaga fashion are the next on the chopping block. I'm sure Japan could pull off both styles with flying colors. 
til then...I'll be rockin the post-millenium wardrobe...

xoxo Jordan 


No comments:

Post a Comment